I am an employment lawyer. I do not practice in any other area of law. I help people resolve their disputes with their employers and allow them to move on with their lives. In fact, due my experience and training, I can hold myself out as an expert in employment law. I have practiced exclusively in this area of law for close to twenty years.
I first became interested in employment law and helping employees when I attended Cornell University and studied Industrial Labor Relations. After graduating from Cornell University, I continued to focus on employment law while earning my law degree with Honors from the Florida State University College of Law.
Over my career, I have personally handled over 500 employment law lawsuits, involving all forms of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, breach of contract, unpaid wages, unequal pay, and Family Medical Leave Act violations, in federal and state courts throughout Florida and across the Country. As a result of my vast experience and expertise, I routinely get asked to lecture to other employment lawyers about employment law. In addition to speaking on employment law, I have written a number of professional articles on employment law topics, including co-authoring a book on sexual harassment. I am grateful that my legal colleagues have recognized my strong contributions to employment law by selecting me as a Florida Super Lawyer in Employment Law denoting status as one of the top five percent of Florida’s lawyers and as a member of the Legal Elite in Employment Law by Florida Trend Magazine representing approximately two percent of the active Florida Bar members who practice in Florida.
As a lawyer and professional, I believe it is important to give back your time and serve both the legal and local community. Accordingly, I have been active in many legal organizations. I have served on the Board Certification Committee for the Labor and Employment Section of the Florida Bar, where I was responsible for reviewing candidates for Board Certification and preparing the certification exam. I served as Chairperson for the Employment Law Committee for the TIPS Section of the American Bar Association. I am especially proud to say that I am a co-founder of the Tampa Hispanic Bar Association. To help my local community, I served as President of the Board of Directors of Bay Area Legal Services, and previously served on the Board of Directors for the Warrick Dunn Foundation.
Areas of Practice:
- 100% Labor and Employment Law
Certified Legal Specialties:
- Labor and Employment Law, Florida Bar
- Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida (Graduated with honors)
- Cornell University – 1992 (Major: Industrial Labor Relations)
- Lecturer, Employment Law
Honors and Awards:
- AV rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Employment Law, Florida Super Lawyer
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Member of Professional Committee for Florida Bar
- American Bar Association, TIPS Section, Chairperson-Elect, Employment Law Committee
- Tampa Bay Hispanic Bar Association, Co-Founder
- Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division, Member, Board of Governors
- Florida Bar, Member, Federal Practice Committee
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section, Chairperson